Skip to main content

12 Homemade Simmer Pot/Stove Potpourri Recipes...Would make great gift too!

I love love love things that make my house smell well.....yummy! These recipes are wonderful for just that! I love to just throw the ingredients into a small saucepan on the stove and let them just barely simmer.  (not to be left unattended) This also makes a great neighbor gift! Just deliver the ingredients to a friend with the instructions in a cute embellished  bag and TA DA! Cheap, yet wonderful gift!! (plus makes a great humidifier too!)

My Favorite Potpourri Recipe
1 lemon cut in fourths
1 apple cut in fourths
1 orange cut in fourths
2 or 3 cinnamon sticks
Water to cover

Place in a pan and simmer.

Holiday Potpourri
1 Orange
1 Lemon
1 Bay Leaf
1 Cinnamon Stick
1/4 Cup Whole Cloves
1. Cut orange and lemon into pieces.
2. Put all ingredients in a sauce pan and cover with water.
3. Simmer on stove, and add additional water during the day, when needed.

Holiday Spice
2 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. pineapple juice
1 c. orange juice
1 lemon, sliced
4 cinnamon sticks
1 Tbs. whole cloves

Bring ingredients to a boil and simmer. If liquid gets low, add more water. Liquid can be used over and over again. To reuse, add liquid and simmer. Refrigerate when not using. This will make your house smell like the holidays, all the time.

Apple Cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick
1 apple cut into fourths

Bring ingredients to a boil and simmer. If liquid gets too low, add more water.

Citrus Cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick
1 orange sliced into fourths

Bring ingredients to a boil and simmer. If liquid gets too low, add more water.

Scents of Christmas
1/2 kettle of water
3 tbsp cinnamon
3 tbsp cloves
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp apple pie spice
2 tsp ginger
Place all in a sauce Pan and simmer

Spicy Harvest Simmering Potpourri

This delightfully spicy pumpkin-pie scent will make your house smell like Home.

INGREDIENTS
Enough cider to fill the pot
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 whole cinnamon sticks
1 handful whole cloves
1 apple, cut crosswise into round slices
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
grated fresh nutmeg, as much as you like

Place ingredients in a large pot on the stove or in a crock pot. Bring to a simmer and allow continuing simmering over very low heat, replacing cider or adding water as needed. Be careful not to allow mixture to scorch.

Edible Simmering Potpourri
Apple cider to fill a large soup pot
One apple, cut horizontally to make circular round slices 1/2-inch thick
One orange, cut into round slices 1/2-inch thick
3 whole cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
6 whole allspice berries
One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, cut into small rounds

Place all ingredients in a large soup pot and bring to a simmer, then reduce and allow to simmer uncovered, adding cider as liquid evaporates.

When guests arrive, ladle out a mug full of the hot cider for each person, and serve with an additional cinnamon stick in each mug.

Spicy Simmering potpourri
* 3 1/2 cups anise star, whole
* 1 3/4 cups allspice, whole
* 1 3/4 cups orange peel
* 1 3/4 cups juniper berries
* 1 3/4 cups nutmeg, whole
* 1 3/4 cups cloves, whole
* 3 1/2 cups cinnamon chips
* 1 3/4 cups lemon peel
* 3 1/2 cups rose hips
* 3 handfuls bay leaves, whole
Use oil fragrances such as French vanilla, old world spice, and vanilla fragrance. This recipe makes 24 cups.

Citrus Simmering potpourri
* 1 cup cinnamon sticks, whole, 1"
* 1 cup orange petals, whole
* 1/4 cup lemon or grapefruit peel
* 1/8 cup allspice, whole
* 3 cups lemon verbena leaves, whole
* 1 cup chrysanthemum flowers, whole
* 1 3/4 cups orange peel, cut and sifted, 1/2" - 3/4"
* 1/8 cup cloves, whole
* 2 cups lemongrass 1/2" cut
For oil use 1/8 ounce lemon essential oil, 1/2 ounce sweet orange essential oil, 1/8 ounce tangerine essential oil, and 1/8 ounce cinnamon bark essential oil. This recipe makes 12 1/2 cups.

Floral Simmering potpourri
* 1 cup rosebuds and petals, pink
* 1 cup rosebuds and petals, red
* 1 cup Balm of Gilead buds, whole
* 1 1/2 cups orange peel, cut and sifter, 1/2" - 3/4"
* 16 nutmegs, whole, cracked with a hammer
* 1 cup oak moss
* 1/4 cup allspice, whole
* 2 cups cinnamon chips
* 1 vanilla bean, cut into small pieces
* 1/4 cup fenugreek seeds, whole
* 1/4 cup cloves, whole

Use 3/4 ounce of your favorite floral fragrance oil. This recipe makes 8 1/2 cups.

Fruity Simmering potpourri
* 1 1/2 cups orange peels, cut and sifted, 1/2" - 3/4"
* 1 cup anise star, whole
* 1/4 cup cardamom pods
* 2 cups cinnamon chips
* 1 cup apple pieces
* 1/2 cup mace, whole
* 1/4 cup allspice, whole
* 1/4 cup cloves, whole
For oil, use 1/2 ounce apple fragrance, 1/8 ounce cinnamon bark essential oil OR use 3/4 ounce spicy apple fragrance. This recipe makes 6 3/4 cups.


















Comments

  1. Do you think these would work in a slow cooker as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think they would work in the crock pot. Good Call!

      Delete
  2. how much water would we use for the apple cinnamon simmer? 2 cups? or enough to cover it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough to cover..thanks for asking! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. The crockpot company also make a very small version of the crockpot that is for simmering potpourri. I ho=ave one and it is great!! No more messing around with the tealight candles and constantly adding more water like the old hot pots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love coconut and vanilla do you have a recipe for that

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be a silly question but how long can you use the potpourri after making it? Not only one time surely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been able to use it at least 2 or 3 times. Be sure to refrigerate when not simmering so that it wont spoil.

      Delete
  6. Rarely, and I mean rarely, do I comment on websites such as these, but I have to say, these recipes are spot on. I made Scents of Christmas over a week ago. It is still in my little crock, and all I do is add boiling water every morning and stir it. I can't believe the strength of the aroma. Thank you very much for sharing these with the social networking community. I'm excited to try a new one, but don't want to waste this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You made my day! They are fun aren't they? Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. I was so impressed I had to share your link on my Facebook page. I hope you don't mind, but I know so many people will enjoy this. Happy Holidays, and thanks for helping me make my home smell fabulous.

      Delete
  7. I just prepared your "Favorite Potpourri Recipe." I hope it simmers up & smells as yummy as its ingredients! I love simmering homemade potpourri. Thank you so much for so many recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh WOW! I didn't even get my 1st message sent before the awesome aroma of your potpourri recipe had begun to fill my kitchen! Thank you for the yummy ideas! I love a wonderful smelling house :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These recipes are wonderful! Thank you so much. Are there any potpourri recipes for spring and summer time?

    ReplyDelete
  10. If i want to give these at christmas how soon can i make them? Is it necessary to dry out fruit and should i add the water to mason jars? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen! The fruit does not need to be dried. I gave them to my friends and neighbors with the recipe ingredients and instructions to add their own water etc.on a cute card attached to the bag with the fruit and spices. I would deliver them soon after you make them so that the fruit doesn't go bad before it is used. Luckily the entire season can use a yummy smelling house so you can give them anytime and they will work great! Thanks for stopping by! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely way to scent th whole house. i am off to put some on to simmer. I am lucky enough to have a woodburner so will be adding one of your lovely ideas to a pan to simmer when the fire is lit. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome List! Since I didn't open up the windows even for a crack of fresh air today, and didn't cook either, I was looking for something a little seasonal to brighten up my day. Now I have such an abundant selection to brighten up said day, and more to come! Many thanks for your creativity and effort to set this up for all to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gracias por esta recetas tan maravillosas para el hogar que dicha haber encontrado este blog Muchos exitos ,Puedo poner todos estos ingredientes en una olla conectada a la luz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My First Giveaway! HOW EXCITING! (to me anyway) LOL!!!

I am so grateful to all of my followers!! It makes me smile everytime I think if you!! Thanks so much for accepting me!! Today's first give away is a "Floating Frame" personalized just for you! I love "Floating Frames" because your wall color will show through which makes it match perfectly with any decor! I have been playing with this idea for 3 years now and it has always been a favorite of everyone! You can chose an 11x14 oak frame or a black frame and the text.  I have posted a few examples of different ideas but the sky is the limit. (as long as it fits the frame) LOL!!! SO.... the sum up... The winner will receive 1 11x14 completed Floating Frame with the text and 2 colors of their choice. HOW TO WIN YOU ASK????? Here's 5 ways you can enter 1. Leave me a comment 2. Become a follower and leave a comment or leave a comment that you are already a follower ( I love my follower friends!!!) 3. Put my button on your blog and leave me a comment that you did

My Funeral Potatoes

   This recipe is for a classic Funeral Potatoes, or Cheesy potatoes Casserole, that uses fresh potatoes. (I haven't had as much luck with frozen potatoes with this one) It's a comforting and hearty dish that's perfect for gatherings or potlucks. It is addapted from my moms kitchen and I love it! Sometimes I top it with a crumb crust and sometimes its is just topped with cheese but it is delish both ways!

Chicken Crescent Rolls with Creamy Curry Gravy

     Oh Man! I love these Chicken Crescent Rolls! They have the perfect filling and the most amazing gravy with a lemony curry kick that is delish! They are easier than they look, and are great for a weeknight meal or work just a well for company or a holiday. I think you might just love them too! Let me know if you try them!

Our Families Menu Feb 2024

Hello! Welcome! We have some fun days coming up! Valentines Day and the Superbowl! Plus our family has some birthdays coming too! What do you do for Valentines Day? Have a great weekend and ENJOY YOUR KITCHEN! LUNCHES Hoagies and chips Egg salad sandwiches and chips Tuna dip and crackers Fried egg sandwiches and baby carrots Frito Pie Leftovers PB and J and apples OUT Hot dogs and chips Soup and Crackers Cottage cheese and fruit DINNERS OUT Nuggets, mac and cheese and veggies with ranch SUPER BOWL-pigs in a blanket, chopped Italian subs, better  than sex chex mix, buffalo cauliflower, spinach artichoke dip, crispy oven baked wings Apple Brats, chips and fruit Leftovers VALENTINES DAY-charcuterie cups, shrimp scampi. Pork chops,    bacon wrapped glazed green beans, Lipton roasted potatoes. Easy Ground beef enchiladas, chips and salsa Freezer finds BDAY PARTY Monte Cristo Crepes, sheet pan hashbrowns and fruit Crock Pot Salisbury Meatballs over buttered noodles and veggies Nanas Meatloaf